Saturday, 28 May 2016

Acquisitions: Shooting Umbrella

This week it rained, so I was able to use my recently repaired umbrella. I bought this 1930s shooting stick umbrella at a local monthly antique show.

A shooting stick umbrella is an umbrella that has a handle that unfolds into a seat. There are also shooting sticks which don't have an umbrella. I'm very lucky to have got one with an umbrella as they're much less common.

It is called a shooting stick because they were used by gentlemen when they went shooting game on the moors. They were also used for hiking and and long walks in the country.

shooting stick umbrella

When I bought the umbrella the canopy was in shreds, so I recovered it in a similar silk. It was quite the learning experience recovering the umbrella as it's very tricky the get the tension right.


To sit on a shooting stick you unscrew the metal disc from the handle and screw it on the spike on the end. You then stick it in the ground and open the handle into a seat.

Open umbrella. 

Handle.

1 comment:

  1. When your website or blog goes live for the first time, it is exciting. That is until you realize no one but you and your. umbrella

    ReplyDelete