Sunday, 31 May 2015

WWI Shirt


This is a shirt that was recently given to me. I was told that It was a military officers shirt from the British raj during the Great War.

Shirt front.

Double cuff.

Bone buttons.

Collar band.

Back.

Small original repair.

 Here's a youtube channel I watch that shows the war week by week https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar.

Friday, 22 May 2015

Project List

This is my list of projects I hope to get done this summer. I really don't know how realistic it is for me to make all these projects by the end of summer, considering I will be very busy. So I will stop watching Youtube and get to work.


1 linen frock coat
2 pairs of linen trousers
1 pair of cotton trousers
1 linen waist coat
3 shirts
3 large carpet bags
1 felt top hat


I probably won't get around to making a top hat this summer, but I am gathering the materials for making one. I'm currently working on making a segmented hat block in my woodworking class.

Also, if I find some silk I like, I will make some cravats/ties.

Wednesday, 20 May 2015

A Couple of Photos at Fort Langley

Here are a couple photos of myself at Fort Langley wearing my new waistcoat, tie and tweed sack coat. Unfortunately, I forgot to take photos of the sack coat construction.



Leather Shoulder Bag

Here's a leather shoulder bag I made recently. This was my first leather work project. I made the bag to carry items that are a little too large to fit in my pocket. The bag is just large enough to carry a lunch and a small book when I volunteer at Fort Langley.


The pattern was for a cartridge bag from 1900. As well as seeing cartridge bags being used for hunting, I've also seen them in fashion plates as part of a tourists or travelling outfit. The bag is 9 inches wide, 7 inches tall and has a 45 inch long shoulder strap.



Small bags being worn by tourists/travellers.



Tuesday, 19 May 2015

Just Found This

Just found this trunk in the alley.


Tartan Waistcoat


After I drafted my pattern I started work on the waistcoat. the waistcoat is double breasted with  peaked lapels Here are some in progress photos.

Forepart.

Forepart lining.

Welt pocket 

Fell stitching.

Bagging the waistcoat.

Below are some shots of the finished waistcoat. I think it turned out rather well.
this was my first time making a double breasted garment. 
  
The finished waistcoat.

Peaked lapels and tie.

I copied the tie from an 1870s pre tied tie. 

Waistcoat back.

Tuesday, 12 May 2015

Waistcoat Pattern


recently I've been drafting patterns for waistcoats. I used graduated measuring tapes to draft a proportionate pattern from The Gentleman's Magazine 1874. I then adjusted the pattern to fit me using my measurements. The pattern is for a double breasted waistcoat with a peaked lapel. Next Im going to drafting a Frock coat.

One of my finished patterns

Heres the proportionate pattern I used.