Tuesday, 24 December 2013

Victorian Shirt Reference

For my Victorian shirt, I will use a pattern from The Cutter's Practical Guide to Cutting Shirts, Undergarments, Collars, Cuffs, Aprons, and Specialty Clothing for Various Occupations by W. D. F. Vincent, 1890. I don't think there's too much difference between shirts from the 1850s and shirts for the 1890s except in the collars and cuff.


Here are the two drafts I'm using. Since the fronts and backs of the shirts are interchangeable, I'm going to use the back DIA.1. and the fronted forepart DIA. 9. I'm doing this so that I don't have to make a yoke. Removing the yoke reduces the time and effort required to make the shirt.



Here are various fronts for the fronted forepart. For my shirt, I'm going to use a tucked or pleated front, as shown on DIA.6. Vincent said that tucked or pleated shirts were the most popular style of shirt around the 1860s.


2 comments:

  1. Well actually, there's a lot of differences between shirts circa late 1850's/1860's and 1890's. There's similarities and crossover, as well, but there are definitely some differences. You should find a copy of this book, maybe through interlibrary loan:

    http://www.amazon.com/Thoughts-Mens-Shirts-America-1750-1900/dp/1577470486/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392287563&sr=8-1&keywords=Thoughts+On+men%27s+Shirts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have noticed some differences in my more recent research.

    Thanks so much for your comment, and the book recommendation.

    ReplyDelete